Discover fun, new activities with a caring community of friends and mentors!
Expanding Horizons is a free afterschool and summer program in Salem where you can discover fun, new activities (such as robotics, cooking, and art) with a caring community of friends and mentors. Expanding Horizons is a 21st Century Community Learning Center program funded in part by the U.S. Department of Education and is run in partnership with Salem Public Schools.
Program Offerings for Fall 2022
- Video Production
- Passport Adventures
- Fashion Design
- Team Sports
- Homework Support
- Games and Open Gym Time
Available to Collins Middle School students four afternoons per week: Monday – Thursday,
3:15 – 6:00 PM at Collins Middle School. Transportation home is available if needed. Snacks provided! Sessions will be offered in the Winter and Spring too.
During the school year, the daily schedule is roughly as follows:
- 3:00-3:30 PM: Snack, games, team-building, homework assistance, and check-ins with Expanding Horizons staff
- 3:30-4:45 PM: Enrichment activities such as drones, social justice, design science, art, and photography
- 4:45-5:45 PM: Games, team-building, and gym time
In addition to engaging programming, added benefits include:
- Daily snacks
- Transportation home at the end of the day
- Friendly staff consisting of community partners, Salem Public School and LEAP employees
- Teen Center and College Success programming available once in high school
- District COVID safety protocols in place
Open to students residing in Salem, with priority given to students from economically disadvantaged households, English Learners, students of color, and first-generation-to-college students.